The Presidency and The Department of Sport, Arts & Culture in partnership with Oliewenhuis Art Museum are recruiting young people involved in creative arts sector, to apply for the Public Arts programme for a period of two (2) months. Young people from the fields of public administration, public relations, social media & project management are also encouraged to apply. The programme seeks to popularize national symbols to create national pride about these transformative elements through a dedicated Public Arts programme. The Programme consists of art murals, performance public art, and multimedia expressions. The Programme will also raise awareness on social ills such as Gender Based Violence and on prevention of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The beautification of community spaces will be done through this Programme, to instil community pride and create a sense of place. These beautified spaces can become sites of attraction for local tourism, contribute to the development of creative cities, towns and places of interest, at locales spanning both rural and urban areas. It is anticipated that the Public Arts will provide skills transfer and employment for visual artists, performing arts and the Programme Support services. The programme will make young people to be active participants in community development and nation-building initiatives of government. The successful applicants will be required to fulfil the following functions, while participating in the programme:
- Implement Public Arts activities, in communities as identified by Implementing Agency and schools.
- Create Public Arts project activities that are dealing with the themes of National Symbols, GBV and COVID-19 prevention awareness in selected communities.
- Maintain constant attendance of project activities and complete tasks as assigned by the Implementing Agent.
- Be prepared to work individually and as part of team(s) that implement, coordinate and support Public Arts activities in the community.
- Be able to work under pressure, take own initiative, have good inter-personal skills and understand community structures.
- Report on the project work activities areas they have participated in, and acquire skills and support Public Arts activities in the community.
- Compile and create a portfolio of evidence that include promotion and popularization of National Symbols of South Africa.
- Commit to use this time towards their own personal development and growth.
The following compulsory requirements will be used to select suitable candidates:
- Candidate must have minimum Grade 11
- Candidate must present his/her portfolio of copies of 5 examples their work in jpeg, and/or on A4 size paper in colour
- Candidate must submit his/her Application form, CV and for Support Services, present certified copies of their qualifications
- Candidate must have skills, qualifications and/or experience in creative arts, culture and heritage
- Candidate must be in the category of out of school youth and not employed
- Candidate must be citizens of South Africa and be young people (i.e. between the ages of 18 and 35 years)
- Candidate must be self-initiators, be pro-active, and have fair facilitation and presentation skills
- Candidate must be able to communicate in English and good local language proficiency.
- Candidate must have strong community background and be willing to work within nominated communities
NB: Young people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Monthly stipend and Work Orientation Sessions will be provided by the Implementing Agent
Please forward to the Public Arts Programme at email@example.com.
1) A summarised copy of your Curriculum Vitae (CV),
2) Certified copies of your qualifications
3) Images of 5 of your artworks in jpeg, and/or A4 size paper in colour
Hard copies clearly marked Public Art Programme can be delivered to Oliewenhuis Art Museum, 16 Harry Smith Street, Waverley, Bloemfontein during office hours.
Call: 051 011 0525
Closing Date: On or before 9 November 2020
Public Arts Programme – Towards a People’s Culture
Public Art Programme Advert
Programme Application Form for 2020
Application Form PDF