- Prepare the learners beforehand, telling them why they are going to the Museum, what to look out for and how to behave.
- Accompany the learners through the exhibits and, if doing your own tour, (quietly) point out and discuss objects of interest with the learners.
- Encourage the learners through your own interest and enthusiasm.
- Encourage the learners to treat their guide/presenter, as well as other museum visitors, with respect.
- Take the opportunity to teach the learners polite and correct procedures by formally thanking the guide/presenter on behalf of the learners, or better still, getting a learner to tender formal thanks on behalf of his/her classmates – the guides/presenters will greatly appreciate this. A “thank you” to the staff at Reception would also be gratefully received.
- Afterwards, back at school, do follow-up activities to ensure that the learners gain from the visit and remember what they learnt.
Please help us to make your museum visit an enjoyable and educational experience for everyone.